Dr. Biao Shu, Associate Professor, PhD student supervisor. Associate Editor of ASCE-Journal of Pipeline Systems Engineering and Practice. He received his Bachelor and Masters degrees in Geological Engineering from China University of Geosciences, Wuhan, and PhD in Mining, Geological and Geophysical Engineering from The University of Arizona in USA. His research focuses on rock mechanics, tunnelling and underground space construction, and geothermal development. Dr. Shu has published more than ten peer-reviewed papers on rock mechanics and Horizontal directional drilling. Dr. Shu is now serving as an Associate Professor in the Geological Engineering Department of Central South University, China.
PhD student and Postdoctor positions are open for application. Please send your resume/CV to: firstname.lastname@example.org
1.NSF-China project, “Research of the shearing stimulation mechanism of high temperaturehigh pressure fractured granite rock mass using supercritical carbondioxide” , 2020/01-2024/12, PI.
2.Sino German Center project, “Passive seismic monitoring for hot dry rock geothermal energy exploitation” , 2023/01-2025/12, Co-PI.
3.NSF of Hunan Province project, “Interaction between supercritical carbon dioxide and granite at high temperature and high pressure condition” , 2021/01-2023/12, PI.
4.NSF-China project, “The research of damaging mechanism of shear fractures and the evolution of seepage law in granitic hot dry rock”, 2018/01-2020/12, PI.
5. China Postdoctoral Science Foundation, “Seepage mechanism evolution of deep high temperature high pressure granite fracture”, 2018/06-2019/06, PI.
6. China Postdoctoral Science Foundation, “The affecting mechanism of thermal fracturing on the hydraulic fracturing of granitic hot dry rock”, 2017/05-2019/05, PI.
7. China Petroleum Pipeline Bureau, "High performance fiber concrete for underground water-sealed oil storage caverns in sandstone", 2016/10-2017/10, Co-PI.
(1) Biao Shu, Fan Zeng, John Kemeny, Runjun Zhu, Keping Chen*, Jingqiang Tan. Analysis of the hydraulic and heat transfer evolution mechanism of a single rock fracture. Journal of Earth Science, 2023, 34(1): 205-213. (IF=2.9)
(2) Leilei Liu*, Yili Zhang, Shaohe Zhang, Biao Shu*, Ting Xiao (2022) Machine learning with a susceptibility index-based sampling strategy for landslide susceptibility assessment, Geocarto International, DOI: 10.1080/10106049.2022.2102221. (IF=3.45)
(3) Biao Shu*, Yimin Wang, Runjun Zhu, LeiLei Liu*, Jingqiang Tan, Jeffrey Dick. Experimental study of the heat transfer characteristics of single geothermal fracture at different reservoir temperature and in situ stress conditions. Applied Thermal Engineering, 2022, 207:118195. (IF=5.295).
(4) XUE Hui, SHU Biao, CHEN Jun-jie, LU Wei, HU Yong-peng, WANG Yi-min, ZENG Fan, HUANG Ruo-chen. Mechanical properties of granite after reaction with ScCO2 at high temperature and high pressure. Rock and Soil Mechanics，2022, 43(2): 377-384.
(5) Biao Shu*, Runjun Zhu, Derek Elsworth, Jeffrey Dick, Shun Liu*, Jingqiang Tan, Shaohe Zhang. Effect of temperature and confining pressure on the evolution of hydraulic and heat transfer properties of geothermal fracture in granite. Applied Energy, 2020, 272: 115290. (IF=8.848)
(6) Biao Shu*, Runjun Zhu, Shaohe Zhang*, Jeffrey Dick. A qualitative prediction method of new crack-initiation direction during hydraulic fracturing of pre-cracks based on hyperbolic failure envelope, Applied Energy, 2019, 248: 185-195. (IF=8.848)
(7) Biao Shu*, Runjun Zhu, Jingqiang Tan, Shaohe Zhang, Ming Liang. Evolution of permeability in a single granite fracture at high temperature. Fuel, 2019. 242: 12-22. (IF=5.578)
(8) Biao Shu*, Ming Liang, Shaohe Zhang, Jeffrey Dick. Numerical Modeling of the Relationship between Mechanical Properties of Granite and Microparameters of the Flat-Joint Model Consider Particle Size Distribution. Mathematical Geosciences. 2019, 51(3): 319-336. (IF=2.471)
(9) Biao Shu*. Numerical modeling evaluation of drilling mud loss risk for a HDD borehole in a low-strength competent bedrock. ASCE-Journal of Pipeline Systems Engineering and Practice. 9(4):04018011. 2018 (IF=1.5).
(10) Biao Shu*, Shaohe Zhang, Ming Liang. Estimation of the maximum allowable drilling mud pressure for a horizontal directional drilling borehole in fractured rock mass. Tunnelling and Underground Space Technology. 72(2018): 64-72. (IF=4.45 ).
(11) Biao Shu*, Shaohe Zhang. Cuttings transport in maxi HDD boreholes with front reaming and one way drilling mud return technologies. Tunnelling and Underground Space Technology. 72(2018): 1-8. (IF=4.45).
(12) Biao Shu*, Baosong Ma. The return of drilling fluid in large diameter horizontal directional drilling boreholes. Tunnelling and Underground Space Technology.2016, 52: 1-11. (IF=4.45).
(13) Biao Shu*, Baosong Ma. Study of ground collapse induced by large diameter horizontal directional drilling in a sand layer using numerical modeling. Canadian Geotechnical Journal, 2015, 52(10): 1562-1574. (IF=2.802)
(14) Biao Shu*, Baosong Ma and Haitao Lan. Cuttings transport mechanism in a large diameter HDD borehole”. ASCE-Journal of Pipeline Systems Engineering and Practice, 2015, 6(4): 04014017. (IF=1.5)