Dr. Biao Shu, Associate Professor. Associate Editor of ASCE-Journal of Pipeline Systems Engineering and Practice. He received his Bachelor and Masters degrees in Geological Engineering from China University of Geosciences, Wuhan, and PhD in Mining, Geological and Geophysical Engineering from The University of Arizona in USA. His research focuses on rock mechanics, tunnelling and underground space construction, and geothermal development. Dr. Shu has published more than ten peer-reviewed papers on rock mechanics and Horizontal directional drilling. Dr. Shu is now serving as an Associate Professor in the Geological Engineering Department of Central South University, China.
1.NSF-China project, “The research of damaging mechanism of shear fractures and the evolution of seepage law in granitic hot dry rock” (Grant #: 41702387), 2018/01-2020/12, PI.
2. China Postdoctoral Science Foundation, “The affecting mechanism of thermal fracturing on the hydraulic fracturing of granitic hot dry rock” (Grant #: 2017M610507), 2017/05-2019/05, PI.
3. China Petroleum Pipeline Bureau, "High performance fiber concrete for underground water-sealed oil storage caverns in sandstone", 2016/10-2017/10, Co-PI.
（1）Biao Shu*, Runjun Zhu, Shaohe Zhang*, Jeffrey Dick. A qualitative prediction method of new crack-initiation direction during hydraulic fracturing of pre-cracks based on hyperbolic failure envelope, Applied Energy, 2019, 248: 185-195.
(2) Biao Shu*, Runjun Zhu, Jingqiang Tan, Shaohe Zhang, Ming Liang. Evolution of permeability in a single granite fracture at high temperature. Fuel, 2019. 242: 12-22.
(3) Biao Shu*, Ming Liang, Shaohe Zhang, Jeffrey Dick. Numerical Modeling of the Relationship between Mechanical Properties of Granite and Microparameters of the Flat-Joint Model Consider Particle Size Distribution. Mathematical Geosciences. 2019, 51(3): 319-336.
(4) Biao Shu*. Numerical modeling evaluation of drilling mud loss risk for a HDD borehole in a low-strength competent bedrock. ASCE-Journal of Pipeline Systems Engineering and Practice. 9(4):04018011. 2018.
(5) Biao Shu*, Shaohe Zhang, Ming Liang. Estimation of the maximum allowable drilling mud pressure for a horizontal directional drilling borehole in fractured rock mass. Tunnelling and Underground Space Technology. 72(2018): 64-72.
(6) Biao Shu*, Shaohe Zhang. Cuttings transport in maxi HDD boreholes with front reaming and one way drilling mud return technologies. Tunnelling and Underground Space Technology. 72(2018): 1-8.
(7) Biao Shu*, Baosong Ma. The return of drilling fluid in large diameter horizontal directional drilling boreholes. Tunnelling and Underground Space Technology.2016, 52: 1-11.
(8) Biao Shu*, Baosong Ma. Study of ground collapse induced by large diameter horizontal directional drilling in a sand layer using numerical modeling. Canadian Geotechnical Journal, 2015, 52(10): 1562-1574.
(9) Biao Shu*, Baosong Ma and Haitao Lan. Cuttings transport mechanism in a large diameter HDD borehole”. ASCE-Journal of Pipeline Systems Engineering and Practice, 2015, 6(4): 04014017.
(10) Pinnaduwa H.S.W. Kulatilake*, Biao Shu. Prediction of Rock Mass Deformations in Three Dimensions for a Part of an Open Pit Mine and Comparison with Field Deformation Monitoring Data. Geotechnical and Geological Engineering. 2015, 33(6): 1551-1568.
(11) Zheng, Jun，Kulatilake, P.H.S.W.*，Shu, Biao，Improved probabilistic kinematic analysis procedure based on finite size discontinuities and its application to a rock slope at open pit mine in U.S. International Journal of Geomechanics, 2017, 17(2).
(12) Pinnaduwa H.S.W. Kulatilake*, Srisharan Shreedharan, Taghi Sherizadeh, Biao Shu, Yan Xing, Pengfei He. Laboratory Estimation of Rock Joint Stiffness and Frictional Parameters. Geotechnical and Geological Engineering, 2016, 2016(3): 1-13.
(13) Jun Zheng, Pinnaduwa H.S.W. Kulatilake*, Biao Shu, Taghi Sherizadeh, Jianhui Deng. Probabilistic block theory analysis for a rock slope at an open pit mine in USA. Computers and Geotechnics. 2014, 61: 254-265.
(14) Haitao Lan, Baosong Ma*, Yuewu Zhang, Biao Shu. Buried Pipe Affected by River Erosion When Crossing the Yangtze River. Journal of Pipeline Systems Engineering and Practice, 2015, 6(3): A4014002.
(15) Haitao Lan, Baosong Ma*, Biao Shu. Prediction of rotational torque and design of reaming program using horizontal directional drilling in rock strata. Tunneling and Underground Space Technology. 26 (2011) 415-421.
(16) Biao Shu, Baosong Ma*, Haitao Lan, Cong Zeng. Preparation and Recycling of Drilling Mud in Large Scale Horizontal Directional Drilling Projects in Mainland China. ASCE ICPTT 2011 Conference, Beijing, October 26-29, 2011.
(17) Biao Shu, Baosong Ma*, and Haitao Lan, Analysis of Interaction Mechanism between Slips and Drill Rod, ASCE Pipelines 2010 Conference, Denver, Colorado, August 28-September 1, 2010.